You won’t find these rolls at you local sushi restaurant the fajita veggies with the crunchy jicama and creamy avocado make for a tasty roll
combined with my Smoked Paprika Aioli.
For Sushi Rice:
• 1 cup short grain/sushi rice
1. Cook rice according to rice cooker directions. Transfer to a bowl and allow mixture to come to room temperature.
For the Roll:
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 4-6 button mushrooms, sliced
• 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
• 1 small red onion, sliced
• 1 tsp each of chili powder,granulated garlic and salt
• 1/2 tsp each of paprika and black pepper
• 1 Tbsp water
• 1 avocado, sliced
• 1 cup jicama, sliced into matchstick pieces
• 4 sushi nori
• Smoked Paprika Aioli (optional but recommended)
1. In a small skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat; stir in the mushrooms, onions and peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Stir in the chili powder, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper as well as the water and cook for another 3-4 minutes until vegetables are soft and lightly caramelized. Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to form rolls.
1. Place the nori sheet shinny side down. Top with 1/2 cup of rice on top of the and using lightly wet hands or the back of a spoon spread the rice out leaving a 1/2 inch strip of the nori uncovered.
2. Place some of the vegetable mixture, jicama and avocado along the strip of uncovered nori on the edge closest to you. Using your hands or a rolling mat begin to tightly roll the sushi. Start at the side nearest to you, and roll away from you.
3. When the sushi is completely rolled, use a rolling mat to squeeze the sushi so it does not unroll when you are trying to cut it. If you do not have a rolling mat place a piece of plastic wrap over the roll and using your fingers squeeze the sushi so that it will not unroll.
4. Using a very sharp knife, cut the sushi into six or eight pieces, depending on how thick you like your sushi. Top with a drizzle of Smoked Paprika Aioli and a dash of hot sauce.