This is a twist on your traditional sushi roll that uses Italian marinated vegetables. Serve this as a light meal for family and friends or as an appetizer at your next party. This is best served with Smoked Paprika Aioli.
Serves 2-4 people
For Sushi Rice:
• 1 cup short grain/sushi rice
1. Cook rice according to rice cooker directions. Transfer to a bowl and allow mixture to come to room temperature.
For the Roll:
• 30z marinated artichoke hearts, sliced
• 5-6 oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
• 4 sushi nori
• Smoked Paprika Aioli (see recipe below)
1. Place the nori sheet shinny side down. Top with 1/2 cup of rice on top of the and using lightly wet hands or the back of a spoon spread the rice out leaving a 1/2 inch strip of the nori uncovered.
2. Place some of the artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes along the strip of uncovered nori on the edge closest to you. Using your hands or a rolling mat begin to tightly roll the sushi. Start at the side nearest to you, and roll away from you.
3. When the sushi is completely rolled, use a rolling mat to squeeze the sushi so it does not unroll when you are trying to cut it. If you do not have a rolling mat place a piece of plastic wrap over the roll and using your fingers squeeze the sushi so that it will not unroll.
4. Using a very sharp knife, cut the sushi into six or eight pieces, depending on how thick you like your sushi. Top with a drizzle of Smoked Paprika Aioli.
Smoked Paprika Aioli
This is one of my favorite recipes in the book and it goes well with a number of the recipes in this book. Drizzle a bit on your sushi, top your favorite veggie burger and use as a dip for baked sweet potato fries.
• 1 block of silken tofu
• 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
• 6 large cloves of garlic, peeled
• 1/2 tsp lemon zest
• Juice of 1/2 a lemon
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 2 tsp raw sugar
• 1/2 tsp mustard powder
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
1. Place all of the ingredients EXCEPT the olive oil in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
2. With the blender/processor running, slowly pour in the oil through the feed tube and process until incorporated.