Brown Rice Crispy Trees
During the holidays we encounter a plethora of tempting sweets, however instead of giving into temptation (okay rather instead of giving into EVERY temptation) this season I encourage you to swap out your processed sugars for natural sweeteners. One of my favorite recipes to make are brown rice crispy treats that use brown rice syrup and barley malt syrup to create a tasty treat.
- 1 box of Brown Rice Cereal (I like Erewhon which also makes a gluten free variety)
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup barley malt syrup
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Line a a medium sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a small sauce pan over medium low heat the brown rice syrup, barley malt syrup and a pinch of salt until thinned. Stir in the peanut butter until combined.
- In a large bowl place the brown rice cereal and gently stir in the brown rice syrup mixture until combined. Let the mixture cool slightly and then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the brown rice crispy mixture onto the making sheet and press into a 1/2 inch layer. Let it set up for 1 hour and then use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes or just cut into squares.
- Swap out your standard brown rice crispy treats for cocoa crispy brown rice cereal or crispy brown rice cereal with mixed berries.
- Swap out barley malt syrup for an additional 1/2 cup of brown rice syrup or honey
- Swap out the peanut butter for your favorite nutbutter; I recommend almond butter
- Swap or use any combination of chocolate chips, raisins or dried cranberries